- I have 35 years Management experience in Commercial Business, Nationalised Industry, Co-operatives, Social Enterprise, Public and Voluntary Sectors at Board and Practitioner level.
- Trained as an Engineer, my career has spanned Power Generation, Printing, Economic Development and Social Care.
- For five years I was CEO of The Innovate Trust, a charity which provides a range of services to people with disabilities.
- I was also Special Projects Manager, Wales, Prince’s Trust, Business, managing the New Deal for the Self Employed contract across Wales.
- Previously I was Community Enterprise Development Officer for Cardiff County Council and before that ran a successful printing co-operative in Cardiff for seventeen years, see:- http://radicalprintshops.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=fingerprints
- I am Chair of Cardiff YMCA Housing Association, running the largest homeless hostel in Wales, a Board Member of Co-operatives UK, and a member of Glas Cymru, the non-profit company that owns and runs Welsh Water
- I have chaired Co-operatives & Mutuals Wales (the representative Council for the Co-op Movement in Wales), been a Board member of the Wales Co-op Centre, Promo Cymru, Cymorth Cymru, Social Firms Wales and Social Firms UK, as well as having been involved with the Prince’s Trust, chairing the local Grants & Loans Committee, and managing its New Deal contract across Wales.
- I chaired the Advisory Board for Cardiff Institute for Co-operative Studies at the School of Management at Cardiff Metropolitan University, and have been an occasional visiting lecturer at both Cardiff Met. and Cardiff University.
- I was a member of the Welsh Assembly’s Social Enterprise Ministerial Advisory Group until it was wound up in 2013
- I have experience of setting up new businesses and the strains of rapid growth, as well as of successfully obtaining £millions of ESF, ERDF and Assembly Grant programmes.
- I have considerable writing and presentational experience. I have worked closely with many campaign managers on charitable and political campaigns, and edited a Wales-wide Trades-Union journal for 8 years, as well as delivering training, speaking at Conferences and appearing on live TV and Radio.
Membership of Professional Bodies
Member, Institute of Economic Development
I am insured with Towergate SMG Professional Risks for:-
- Public Liability ~ £2,000,000
- Professional Indemnity ~ £1,000,000